Monday, December 03, 2007

subliminal messages

Its finals time again -- sigh. Need I mention how much I dread this part of teaching?

To help keep me motivated throughout grading my class's final papers and exams this week, I made a playlist of songs on my MP3 player that I, in a burst of creativity, named "Music to Grade By." After grading for a while, I glanced at the titles of the tracks that I had chosen. Apparently my subconscious mind has pretty low expectations about the quality of my students' work because the song titles sadly described some of the papers I was reading:
  • Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
  • House of Cards
  • Take Me Down
  • Nothingman
  • Off He Goes
  • blues
  • Ne strelayte (trans. = Don't Shoot)
  • Bezkonyechnost' (trans. = Without End)
On second thought, maybe that music wasn't so motivating after all.

1 comment:

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

I remember taking exams and wishing I was the one giving them so I could watch all of their faces as I handed it to them! I know it's evil!!! But I never realized that it isn't the funnest thing to grade them. Good luck. Music always helps!