I give my first midterm exam in class today. I'm kind of nervous since I have no idea how my students are going to do. It's hard to know how I should interpret whatever results I will get: if they do very well, have I succeeded in my role as educator, or was the test just too easy? On the other hand, if they fail miserably, who's to blame? I won't even get started on my moral struggles over how strictly I should grade. Not yet, at least.
I thought it might be fun to give you a chance to participate in the exam fun. Below is a map of the former Soviet Union with five numbered countries.
Without cheating, can you name all five? Go ahead and post your answers to the comments section.

I'll give the correct answers when I finish grading the tests this weekend.
4 comments:
Oh this was easy for me (seeing as Global Studies was one of my favorite subjects and I have a thing for Russian history).
1. Kazakstan
2. Latvia
3. Georgia (right?)
4. Uzbekistan
5. Ukraine
Now, if I am wrong I will be horribly emabarrased!!
1. A relative tried to get a mail-order bride from here; our intervention in the post office stopped that nonsense, thank goodness. ('Course, he had insufficient postage, but still...)
2. Don't know the name, but Sergei in the train station makes great borscht.
3. Isn't that part of Africa, dude?
4. Phlegmystan.
5. I'm wanted here for illegally operating a taxi--it's a long story, man, but it's hilarious, especially the part with the nuns and helicopters.
What grade do I get, professor?
Actually, Raven was right on with all of them. Nice job! I'm very impressed.
Post a Comment