Sunday, May 29, 2011

Surfin' USA




















To celebrate a monumental birthday for my dad this year, my family headed to California to become beach bums. He wanted to play on the sand with the grandkids so we flew from Ohio to Utah and then joined in the motor-home road trip to Sacramento. After getting to stay in my sister's home for the first time, we continued on to Monterey Bay for the week. The hope was to have Q join us there, but due to sudden deadlines and pressures (more on that later), he was unable to bask in the balmy 55 degree weather with us. That also meant that I had the joy of returning to Utah via motor-home again and then flew by myself with ALL THREE CHILDREN! I think I'm putting that right up there with natural childbirth on my list of accomplishments in life. Really the kids are fabulous travelers, but it was 3 separate flights and I was traveling with a 16 month old in tow -- you can only expect so much. It was worth it though to have all of the family together and to spend some quality family time in such a lovely setting.


Here are some highlights:

Collecting pinecones at Donner Pass on the road-trip.














He's considering becoming a trucker when he grows up.
With only 6 weeks separating them, they were funny to watch love and bug each other.
Dad picking Dani's lemons in her back yard to make fresh juice with.
"Hammie" was L's new best friend
He was super excited to touch the sand for the first time.
We played games about Grandpa Pete and if we guessed correctly the kids got to put stickers on him -- it was a huge hit.
The sunset view on our balcony.
Did I mention it was pretty cold there?
"Surfing" was all the rage.





My Dad's Mom, Grandma Iris got to come along as well. I was so glad to have the kids and me get some bonding time with her. We don't get much in our infrequent trips to Utah.



3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, we were so close...yet so far away! Next time you should come a little farther south and enjoy some real nice warm beaches.

Karene said...

I love seeing the picture of your whole family! Love all of you. I can't believe you pulled off the plane ride by yourself. YIKES!!! That would be my worst nightmare. We need to talk soon. Miss you!

Malinovka said...

Love those beach photos! We're dying to get to one coast or another this summer. Glad you had a fun trip, but sorry you were a single parent through it! KUDOS to you!