Q had been out of town for the week at a conference, so we decided to celebrate the holiday with some friends. One of our friends at the BBQ was a pediatric doctor, so I asked her what I should be looking for if L really started having problems breathing. She offered to listen to her, and then told me that she recommended taking her to the ER that night. WHAT?! Besides being lethargic (which I attributed to the allergy medicine we'd just switched her to), she was not in any noticeable distress.
But, wanting to be on the safe side, I had a friend come and stay with the boys while I took her to the hospital. I was worried about it keeping us out late since her 1st day of school was in the morning, but I needn't have been concerned. Once they saw her oxygen levels they immediately had her in a bed and soon transferred her to a room where she stayed for 3 days.
She has not been extremely uncomfortable (besides when they were trying very unsuccessfully to get an IV in numerous times), and actually had a party at the hospital -- meals in bed, lots of friendly nurses, doctors, and child life specialists who brought her movies, books, games, toys, etc. She even spent one night watching movies continuously until 6am with the nurses while I was home with the boys.
In fact, she saw her hospital stay as 3 days of mommy-daughter dates. We had a lot of fun playing games, chatting, and just being together without other siblings needing my attention. I think we both liked that a lot.
With Q gone, I was very grateful for our ward and all of their willingness to take the boys and lose sleep to be at our house at night so that I could be with L at the hospital. We are lucky to have so many wonderful people as contacts and friends.
Q is back now and we are hoping L will finally have her 1st day of school tomorrow. It was canceled for the hurricane power outages and then she's missed most of her 1st week so she is excited and nervous.
Hopefully your Labor Day was less exciting than mine was!
L giving me her best smile.
12 comments:
Hope you get to the bottom of things soon. Breathing/ allergy issues can be scary. I'm glad they gave you meds to control things a bit. Did they have good food for her? I remember being in heaven when they let me have cheetos at primary children's. Hugs to lydia and you too, Super Mom!
Oh, how scary! And how awful for that to happen when Q was out of town!!! I can't even imagine. I would have gone crazy. I'm so glad you already have a support group there with great people from the ward. That's awesome. Glad you were able to turn a scary experience into some great mother-daughter bonding time. I would have loved it too. Hope L is on the mend, not too traumatized from her IV, and that she loves school!
There's a lot to be said for a united ward family. So glad you had the help you needed. Hope everything gets worked out soon!
Seriously, having a child in the hospital because they are having a hard time breathing is one of my nightmares. It's awful! So sorry for you all, but glad you were taken care of. Hope things get figured out soon!
Wow. I am glad she is feeling better and off to school soon. Hope your next holiday isn't so crazy:)
This made me cry. I hope she had a great time at school. She is such a wonderful girl. Lots of love her way from the Reads.
Oh! I'm sorry to hear about L. Good luck with everything and I hope you get some answers soon. :0)
I had asthma as a kid, but I grew out of it (lets hope L does too!). I still have terrible allergies but I just manage it with Zyrtec now and then.
Poor L, are they doing the allergy test where they poke her back a bunch of times and put the allergens on to see the reaction? I had to have that and was allergic to so much of it. It was miserable. But my mom bribed me through it with the promise of Wendy's afterwards.
Good luck getting it all under control.
Miss you guys.
What a nightmare! and to have to deal with all this and no husband?!? I would have been so scared. I hate all the breathing things, because I totally feel like I never know the clues either, and I hate to feel like I'm being over protective, then I take my kid in and they make us stay, and stay, and stay. Ah, Lydia looks so happy, and hopefully she only remembers the mommy dates and attention. (Reesa always wants to go to the hospital, since she's my only child who never gets to go.)
OMG. Your "adventures" since going to boston are insane! Poor L! But you would know since the pictures look like she is doing pretty well and having fun;) thinking about you guys. and miss you.
Poor L and poor you! Good thing you got her into the ER, sounds like a very eventful Labor Day. Hope all is well with the move. Love you guys!
oh my! Caleb had croup a couple years ago, and had to admitted. when the doctor mentioned the term "possible respitory failure", I knew I made the right decision to take him to the ER. apparently kids can shut down really fast if they experience long periods of even mild fatigue.... it's scary! :)
Post a Comment