Monday, October 10, 2011

Graduation

Now that things have settled down a bit, it is time to catch-up on some past MAJOR events.  For example, there was that small ceremony that we had been waiting seven years for -- Q's GRADUATION!!!



We traveled back to Ohio to take part in all of the pomp and circumstance.  It was quite the adventure -- especially being in close quarters with family and visitors without a vehicle (the rented van spent an entire day in the mechanic shop).  However, the actual day of graduation was fabulous.  We rode to the event on a pedicart which the kids (and I) thought was quite the way to travel and arrive at the big event.

Q's proud parents (who had been praying and waiting many years for this event as well) were able to visit us in Connecticut and then make the road-trip to Ohio to see their son become a PhD.
His sister and brother-in-law also made the trip to come and show their support (we were very lucky to have the extra rental car that could fit a couple of people in for food-runs and Trader Joe sanity-saver escapes). 


One of the best moments of the trip came when Q heard hollering in the stands and looked up to see three of his closest childhood friends making some noise for him.  They had flown in as a surprise and the look on his face was proof that they had succeeded.  I had tried talking them out of it, but they were determined to be there and it made the day all the more memorable for Q -- I don't think the smile left his face for the entire ceremony.  He kept looking up into the stands and shaking his head in disbelief that they had come.





I was excited that the day had come at last, and I was proud that we'd both made it through!  
Graduate school was a lot of intense years, but we loved our time in Columbus and the friends we made there.

WAY TO GO Q!!!

We survived the road-trip both ways and were relieved to find that our home had suffered no major problems from Hurricane Irene that had passed through as we were traveling back to Connecticut.


6 comments:

Malinovka said...

I'm getting a little emotional reading this post! I'll never forget our first Sunday here and how you guys made us feel like we were right at home. So happy we had the chance to be with you for the ride. It feels like we'll never get to your place, but it's only a few months away. Love and miss you guys.

Anna said...

Totally amazing and awesome. A big congrats to Q. Not many people understand what a big deal a PhD really is unless they've been there (or been married to one!). I'm proud of you all and look forward to seeing Q's career as a political scientist (and always hoping it brings you closer west).

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

An incredible accomplishment for both of you. Congratulations!

I am so grateful to have been there with you for awhile. Good luck and call me soon!

Annie said...

Awesome! Way to go Q AND family! Your new home looks so great too. It's weird to think of Columbus without no more Beazers.

Christy C. said...

Way to go!! What a wonderful accomplishment for your whole family! The picture of Q and the boys makes me think of all the fun times we had....:) Congrats.

Tara said...

Wow, the end of an era! Congrats whole Beazer family on graduating! I am sure you guys will miss Ohio. Love you!