Monday, June 01, 2009

Lullabies

Tonight I'm working on the post for C's birthday. However, as I was putting the kids to bed I thought of something I wanted suggestions on: bedtime songs.

Basically we sing the same songs to them every night so they might as well be songs that I enjoy singing and that have a good message since it's the last thing on their minds before they drift off to the subconscious. I had switched things up when I realized they were getting a dose of materialism in "Mama's Going to Buy You a Mockingbird." And what's the point of "Rockabye Baby" anyways?

Our current line-up is:
- My Favorite Things (Sound of Music)
- Teach Me to Walk (LDS Hymnbook)
- My Heavenly Father Loves Me (Children's Songbook)
- O, Hush Thee, My Baby (I heard it on this CD and loved the end, "Hush thee my baby, hush thee my dear. Sleep little baby, have nothing to fear/know Heaven is near.")
- I am a Child of God (if they request a song in Spanish or Russian)

So what do you remember your parents singing to you? What do you sing to your kids? What songs do you think would make perfect bedtime lullabies?

3 comments:

Ms. Muppettt said...

Lately, I've become enamored with the song, "The Water is Wide." There are lots of verses, but only the first verse is positive (I like the whole thing though since I like sad songs). Try Karla Bonoff or Charlotte Church's version. It can also be sung interchangeably with "You are my Sunshine." My all time favorite is "Suo Gan" or Welsh Lullaby. The English is beautiful, and I'm working on the Welsh lyrics too. Try Bryn Terfel's Welsh version.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy "All the Pretty Little Horses" (Charlotte Church has an excellent version of this one too), but it might fall under the "materialism" category for you, so see what you think.

You actually sing them entire songs in Spanish or Russian? I'm so impressed. I need to get on that, I guess. :)

Anna said...

My mom used to sing us the song "Give Said the Little Stream" and many others. But that's the first one that comes to mine...that and "I've been working on the railroad" lol. No but I really like Give Said the Little Stream---good message and very soothing.