Friday, October 10, 2008

Music to Groove to

So music listening isn't really what it use to be back in the pre-kid days. I can't quite get use to the children's cds that have "Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow-Wow" or "This Old Man" stuck in my head all day long. So I've been searching for something in between. These are my current finds... do you have any to recommend?



Songs from the Street: 35 Years of Music -- This is a Sesame Street Collection that has some of the classics and also ones with artists like Hootie and the Blowfish, Johnny Cash, Stevie Wonder, REM, NSYNC, Celine Dion, Dixie Chicks, Goo Goo Dolls, and the Fugees.


Barenaked Ladies is our #1 right now -- Q's favorite is the Ninja song. I knew I'd found a gem when he walked in from school and headed straight to the cd player to turn on the music.



Here's one I haven't tried but it looked like an interesting mix of musicians. Anyone out there have a review on it?

5 comments:

My Three Snakes and Snails said...

One of our favorites is "Inside Out". They have 2 primary song cd's out and they are so great! i could listen to them all day long... fun, upbeat and nothing brings a tear to the eye better then my 2 boys belting out "The Priesthood is Restored" in a cool version of the song!!! The names of the albums are "Primary Colors" and "Sharing Time". Definitely worth it!!!

Karene said...

It looks like you guys have much more experience in children's music than I...to tell the truth I didn't know there was such thing as kids' music by They Might Be Giants. I'd like to give your recommendations a listen because I am definitely plagued by "How Much is That Doggie in the Window" and "Muffin Man" running through my head all day long!

Ms. Muppettt said...

I recommend anything by Laurie Berkner. She does kids songs but they're catchy enough that they don't drive adults crazy. They were sure-fire bets for storytimes.

If you still want to teach the kids a bit of Spanish, try anything by Jose Luis Orozco. My favorite is his album Diez Deditos. All his songs have some sort of rhyme or movement to them and are super fun.

JonathanJeni said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a few CDs that are MUSTS: "World Music For Little Ears" - this is the most soothing ethnic music I have found (most songs are African and Brazilian). Ethan loves it and the lyrics, once translated, are beautiful - great to put anyone to sleep. Brooke, you MUST look into Jose Luis Orozco. I used his music when I taught Spanish Immersion. Ethan listens to it every day and ADORES it. Also, Raffi is amazing as well. He has many original songs as well as remakes of oldies. "Baby Beluga" ang "Joshua Giraffe" are among Ethan favorite tunes. I love good music! Maybe I'll blog about it too.

The Robbs said...

Oh, how I miss the Columbus public library. I love your new look! It looks very hip.