What is Christmas without Grandma's candy? It's there all season long, tempting you to try to eat only one piece per visit (I don't think that's ever happened). Though in no way healthy or good for you, I couldn't resist introducing the kids to a traditional family holiday treat. And just to clarify -- this is not a brittle. Think toffee.
For something with only 4 ingredients, you'd think it would be easier. Ok, it's not that it's hard, it's more just that timing really is everything. Oh, and making sure you use margarine and NOT BUTTER!!! Basically the butter separated right at the moment it reached the desired candy stage. I emptied out 1/2 cup of butter that was floating on the top. So I guess you could say this was a lower-fat version?
Grandma Iris' Pecan Candy
Pecans (whole or broken into smaller pieces)
1 cup sugar
2 cubes margarine (1/2 lb)
1/4 cup water
Spread pecans over a cookie sheet (as many or few as you prefer). Melt butter and add other ingredients into a heavy sauce pan while stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and continue to cook and stir until the hard crack stage is reached. Depending on how high you cook it this will take from 10-15 minutes. Watch for the color change -- it will turn a light tan and then quickly to a darker tone. Immediately remove from the heat and pour over the pecans (working from one side to the other because it will most likely not cover the whole pan). Allow to cool and then break into pieces. Eat. Smile. Get a massive sugar headache. Eat more.
1 comment:
I have the best toffee recipe, I will give it to you if you want.
Post a Comment