Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Countdown, December 20th

Q here.

I have been waiting for today for close to nine years. Today is the day that I finally used my pelmenitsa. It is a mold used to make pelmeni, the little Russian dumplings that are in my top-three comfort foods of all-time. (As a matter of fact, this summer in Moscow, I ate pelmeni for lunch five days a week for six weeks. It was *awesome*.) I've had this contraption since the year 2000, but as much as I love pelmeni, I've never actually used it to make my own homemade pelmeni. This is because I love these things so much, I have been afraid to fail. That and I was afraid that it would take about nine hours to crank these things out by hand.

I have been resolved to use this thing, even if it did me (and my loving spouse) in. So, with a little arm-twisting during the planning stage, pelmeni-making became the Beazer advent activity for today. Just watch all the dumpling goodness unfold:


The verdict? Excellent, especially for a first try. We were a little slow, but well shy of the nine-hour mark. Plus we made an extra batch to freeze. That's super, that's what that is. It went so well, in fact, I think that we'll be doing this quite often. If anyone wants directions (possible without the special equipment, btw), let me know and I'll make them available.

On a personal note, I acquired my little pelmeni board from the woman I adopted as my Russian mother, Elena Morozova.


I love Lena for her biting sarcastic wit, her penchant for gabbing on the phone, and her master's touch in the kitchen. She has been one of the best friends I've ever had. I was crushed when she died suddenly of heart failure in late May, only three weeks before I returned to Moscow. So, if dedicating a particular plate of food is an acceptable way to remember someone you love, then, Lena, this one was for you.




С любовью, в память Морозовой Елены Петровной: 31 мая 2009 г.

1 comment:

Malinovka said...

Ooh, pelmeni. I can almost taste the greasy goodness of onion and beef and mushrooms and what else. Reading your post reminded me that we Russkis in America need to have a get together and celebrate the New Year. How about a Russian night? Eric